Tuesday 11 June 2013

A Pear for June

When I saw Marly's original Pear Sampler (now Pear Sampler 1) back in the middle of last year, I knew it was a project I wanted to do. So I stitched it up and then did another one of my own design with a number sampler.

Marly's posted patterns for quite a few pear samplers since that first one. While most of them really appeal to me, I haven't quite gotten around to stitching any others . . . but her pattern for June really grabbed me! So out came the needle, threads and fabric . . .



Once I'd finished stitching I decided I didn't really need another "ornamental" pear, and instead appliqued it onto a journal cover.

While it was . . . nice . . . it seemed . . . hmm . . . not quite right.



So I unpicked the applique and did what I should have done in the first place - I made it up into a "pear". And I'm really glad I did, because I'm so happy with how it's turned out!



I've filled the pear with a mix of fibre fill (at the top around the stalk) and then crushed walnut shells and silica sand. This gives it a nice, heavy, substantial feeling, which I really like. Now I've got the bug again, the big question is . . . which one will I stitch next???



Pattern: Pear X
Designer: Marly - Samplers and Santas
Publication: http://samplers-and-santas.blogspot.com.au/p/pears.html

Fabric: 27 count linen
Threads: DMC 3041, 3042, 611, 3023, 3053, 3820

1 comment:

Sue-Anne said...

Its gorgeous Sue! I liked as an applique but it definately looks best as a pear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...