Wednesday 2 March 2011

What is "Vintage" to You???

I only ask because I was browsing on Etsy (I love Etsy) in the "Vintage" category and right before my very eyes were a couple of pieces of jewelery just like some I'd owned in my younger days! Vintage!! I think not!!!

So, I asked around . . .

Husband (after some consideration) thinks vintage is about 30-40 years.

Daughter (with no hesitation) says 10 years! Oh to be so youthful! (While looking at my school photos she declares that she just loves those vintage photos!!!)

Me - I'm thinking my lovely teapot and plates are vintage. A gift from my great grandfather to my great aunt as a wedding gift. Then a gift to me. Sorry Aunty Shirl, but this is vintage to me.


And maybe my trusty old ironing board - made by my great uncle for my mother when she was married and then passed to me when I left home (and still as good today as ever) . . .



But something I've had from new? Not quite vintage yet, I say.

The www declares that vintage (while previously referred to the age of a wine) is now commonly used to "describe almost anything that is or can be old-fashioned" and "of old, recognized and enduring interest, importance or quality."

OK, so very dear teapot - Yes.

My school photos - No.

Jewelery from my youth - No.

From my mother's youth - Maybe.

Fabulous old cross stitch sampler patterns - Yes.


So, what is "vintage" to you?

4 comments:

Terry said...

Vintage is my Mum's stuff. Mine is old wares > guess I'm old enough for my Grama's to be antique.

Like the tea pot!

ranette said...

Oh no...Vintage? Me, never...lol, but I think my kids would disagree!
They love my old jewelry from the 70's and 80's and even the few items of clothing that I've kept.

Annette said...

Surely vintage has to be older than I am...but oh well..I'm getting there. My kids think I'm vintage.

dragonfly gypsy said...

Hi Sue, I collect Madame Alexander 8" dolls and they say vintage is anything from 1970 back thru 60's,
50's etc. Regards Sharron

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...