Thursday 3 March 2011

Cross Stitch Table Cloth

Talking of (almost vintage), back in Year 10, we had a major project that we worked on all year in Needlework. I can't remember now if we had to do a table cloth or if it could be some other stitchery item, but this is what I did.

It's a 25 count linen. The stitching is 20" square and the overall cloth is 51" square. I don't know where I got the pattern from or any other specifics of the designs, but the four scenes represent . . .

England


Ireland


Scotland


and Wales.


It was all counted thread work, including the zig zag border


and the hem.


I've only used the cloth a couple of times. But the other day I decided to use it while we enjoyed a lovely afternoon tea. After all, what's the point of having these things if not to use them? Why save things "for best". I mean, if my family and I aren't "for best", then what is?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So beautifully done!
My grandma had sewed the same patterns. After searching and searching through the internet I finally came across your blog post. Could you please let me know the name of the book the patterns are from?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...