Monday 26 April 2010

Hexagon Quilt & Hexagon's Pair

My "Hexagon Quilt" ended up being a bigger project than I originally thought.

I fell in and out of love with it several times over during its construction.

But in the end, I was happy! And this, I believe, was the beginning of my fascination with hexagons.



The quilt is 67" x 88". The hexagons are 7 1/2" at the widest point and there are about 100 in the quilt.

There are some pieced ones . . .

Some plain ones . . .

Some appliqued ones.

I used a crazy mix of bright fabrics, which in the end are a bit too bright for on the bed. But we've used it as a picnic quilt, which is kind of nice.

I made a pieced backing for the quilt (the first time I'd done this kind of thing), but when it came right down to it, the backing ended up as a quilt in its own right - the "Hexagon's Pair" quilt.



It's 79" x 96". This quilt incorporates squares . . . some full size (almost 9"), plain ones . .

Some 4 patch . . .

Some 9 patch . . .

Some bordered squares.

This 'start cutting and see what you end up with' approach was way, way outside of my comfort zone, but I'm really glad that I did it. I ended up with only the tiniest of scraps left over. That in itself was very satisfying. There's something about using almost every last thread of fabric in a project . . .

1 comment:

Sue-Anne said...

Love your hexagon quilt Sue. It is so bright and cheery and very interesting to look at. I laughed about the backing quilt!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...